Brisbane Roar v Moreton Bay

Brisbane Roar has put a major dent in Moreton Bay’s Premiership hopes after a 1-0 win at Perry Park on Saturday afternoon.

Moreton Bay looked to threaten in the very early stages of the match when Royce Brownlie released Jordan Farina for a run on the Roar goal then Matt Capelo delivered a dangerous free kick in for Brownlie, both unable to find their mark inside the first two minutes.

The Roar began to settle with their first shot of the afternoon with a long-range effort by Sam Sibatuara falling wide of the upright.

Dane Ingham made the Moreton Bay defenders look like turnstiles with a damaging, weaving run inside the box. Playing the ball off for Sibatuara as the Jets defenders surrounding Ingham, created an empty net for the Roar attacker to fire into but once again sent his effort wide again.

On the half hour, Todd Miller delivered a well-timed cross where Ingham was waiting near the penalty spot the ball falling just a fraction ahead of his run and unable to get an effective touch.

Just under ten minutes from the halftime break, Joseph Champness clattered a shot onto the woodwork for the visitors that immediately lead into a Roar counter-attack. Liam O’Bryan found himself with a chance but couldn’t make the Jets pay.

Brownlie found himself with two chances towards the end of the half, one straight to ‘keeper Tomislav Bilic, the other across the face and despite his side having the better of the possession and territory, the match was scoreless at halftime.

The Moreton Bay talisman picked up where he left off inside the first minute of the restart but unable to deliver the critical blow.

From there though, the Roar wrested control of the match and on the hour mark, Sibatuara’s persistence paid off as he provided the opening goal of the encounter.

Jets coach Adam Piddick then set about making a change in his formation up front, with Brownlie switching out onto the right, Charles Mendy into the middle and Farina onto the left. That move ultimately not paying off with shots only coming from long-range.

Just before time, Stephen O’Neill had the chance to ice the match for the Roar as he tested Borean from close range but the Moreton Bay gloveman was up to the task pulling off a sharp save, turning the ball around the post.

The result sees Moreton Bay remain in second, one point behind leaders Brisbane Strikers but with one more game in hand over their closet rival.

Brisbane Roar 1 (Sam Sibatuara 61’) v Moreton Bay 0

Brisbane Roar : Bilic, Walker (C.O’Neill 56’), Crestani (c), Miller (S.O’Neill 70’), O’Bryan (Grillo 46’), Ingham, Sibatuara, Sawyer, Lampard, Dais, Ludwik

Moreton Bay: Borean, Zappone, Stewart, Henderson, Nakaooka (Mitchell 73’), Previtera, Farina (Dykman 78’), Capelo, Brownlie, Mendy, Champness (Cuschieri 63′).