Brisbane City v Sunshine Coast

Brisbane City extended their mid-season resurgence to three straight wins after defeating Sunshine Coast FC 2-1 at Corporate Travel Management Stadium on Sunday.

Fire’s Jacob Fulluck opened the scoring early in the first half, however City levelled immediately via Antonio Murray before Mat Biggins wrapped up the points prior to half-time.

The win balances the ledger for City following an inglorious 6-0 opening round loss against Fire in March at Sunshine Coast Stadium

Both sides demonstrated their intent early with a series of physical challenges inside the opening ten minutes.

Fulluck delivered the opener only 11 minutes in after breaking away on the counter – Fulluck slotting home the finish from close range for his sixth goal of the campaign.

However, City replied instantly through striker Murray as the 2013 Golden Boot winner benefitted from a mix-up in the Fire defensive line to notch his seventh goal in the past six matches.

Reyze Kelly sent a shot over the top of the crossbar as Fire sought to regain their lead before before City’s Anthony Poljak skewed a strike across the face of goal.

Biggins then stepped up to edge City ahead before the break by delivering a strong headed finish from Koh Satake’s free-kick – his first goal since March.

City continued to threaten after the restart as Poljak and Murray both forced saves from Fire goalkeeper Dale Hill.

Clear-cut goal scoring opportunities then eluded both sides as they battled for control in midfield throughout the second stanza.

Fulluck failed to find the target with a pair of late chances as Fire looked to draw level, while Murray spurned the opportunity to wrap up the match when he skewed an attempt wide in the final minutes.

The result has no effect on either club’s placing on the league table with City remaining in eleventh and Fire holding on to fourth on goal difference.

Brisbane City FC  2 (Antonio MURRAY 12’, Mat BIGGINS 39’)
Sunshine Coast FC  1 (Jacob FULLUCK 11’)