Brisbane City v Northern Fury

Brisbane City recorded their first home win since May overcoming a late send-off to defeat Northern Fury 3-2 at Corporate Travel Management Stadium on Saturday.

Sean Karambasis struck a goal in each half for Fury but it wasn’t enough to overcome goals from City’s Anthony Poljak, Antonio Murray and Mat Biggins.

The result deals a significant blow to Fury’s fading hopes of a top four finish with the Townsville-based club dropping to eighth in the PlayStation® 4 NPL Queensland standings.

City started the match strongly but had to wait until the quarter hour for their first clear-cut chance when Mat Biggins’ glancing header went wide of the target.

Fury took advantage shortly after when Karambasis delivered from close-range to open his account.

City delivered an attacking response and levelled terms just prior to the half-hour as Poljak delivered his second goal of the campaign by turning home a cross from Hamish Maguire.

Murray was proving increasingly influential for the hosts and saw a shot saved before edging City ahead for the first time after the half-hour with a poacher’s finish on the slide.

Fury delivered plenty of attacking pressure to close out the half but were unable to level terms before the break.

Further forward forays from the visitors after the restart whittled away at the City defence until Karambasis headed his second after the hour from a free-kick – his fifth goal in only six appearances for the club this year.

However, City restored their lead almost instantly when Biggins delivered a textbook headed finish on the fly at the back post from Murray’s free-kick.

The hosts fashioned further chances as the sought to increase the margin – Luke Leggett’s headed attempt saved while Murray was unable to capitalise after getting in behind the Fury defence.

A nervous finale ensued for the hosts when Maguire was dismissed for a second bookable offence late in the half, however Fury were unable to take advantage as they recored a second straight defeat.

Speaking post-match, City coach Darron Heselden said the win was due reward for a full club effort in response to their last out defeat to local rivals Olympic FC.

“I’m really happy for the group – not just the playing group but the club, the supporters, the backroom staff,” Heselden said.

Brisbane City FC  3 (Anthony POLJAK 27’, Antonio MURRAY 35’, Mat BIGGINS 70’)
Northern Fury FC  2 (Sean KARAMBASIS 16’ 66’)