Brisbane Capital Leagues Review | 24 – 26 June 2016

Merson Kean (@mersonk1)

This week we saw late drama, cracking goals and red cards all adding up to a great weekend up and down the divisions. Here’s what took place in the latest instalment of the Capital Leagues.


Grange Thistle still lead the way after they won a topsy-turvey battle with Mount Gravatt Hawks 3-2. Matt Hornby opened the scoring in the second minute for Thistle to give them an early lead but that was short lived as Hawks equalised just twelve minutes later. Thistle made sure they had the lead at the half as they edged ahead via an own goal in the 23rd minute. Hawks came out fighting in the second stanza and got their reward in the 79th minute only to have their hearts broken thirty seconds later as Andre-Luis Pereira fired home to give Thistle all three points.

Southside Eagles sit second spot at the end of the weekend as they clinched a comfortable 2-0 win over Centenary Stormers at Atthows Park. First half goals from David Maclot and Josh Falco were enough to ensure Eagles claimed all three points.

Wolves FC impressively got the edge over Bayside in the derby coming away 1-0 winners despite having to play the majority of the second period with only nine men. Wolves grabbed the game’s early goal in the 24th minute and despite picking up two second half red cards held out for a much needed win in their fight to avoid relegation.

It was a game of two halves at Jack Speare Park as Moggill clinched a 2-1 away win over Taringa Rovers. Taringa had the early incentive as Scott Dickson fired home the opening goal to give Rovers a half-time lead. Moggill came out firing in the second period and it took until the 75th minute for Charlie Spencer to equalise for the amber and black. In the final minute Sam Chesterfield pinched all three for the visitors.

North Star made sure they are still in the promotion race with a 4-2 away win at strugglers Pine Rivers. The home side made the perfect start when Danny Spencer gave Rivers a second minute lead. Star came back into the contest midway through the half as Tom Laxton levelled proceedings before the break. Star didn’t waste any time after the break as Jordan Maxwell and Bradley Thompson bagged a goal each to put their team 3-1 to the good on the hour mark. Rivers pegged one back immediately through Spencer with his second of the night but a 78th minute penalty from Alistair Russell for Star sealed a 4-2 win.

It was an eight goal thriller at the Knights Complex as Brisbane Knights and Souths United played out a 4-4 draw. Souths raced into a two goal lead with goals from Mario Stojakovic and Harun Omerovic but was soon cancelled out by Matthew Mears and David McEvoy making the score 2-2 just thirteen into the affair. Knights turned the contest on its head in the 25th minute when Mears added his second to give the home side the lead going into the break. Souths managed to level the contest in the 75th minute when Harun Omerovic bagged his 17th goal of the season. Knights thought they had won it when McEvoy netted an 89th minute goal but deep into stoppage time Josh Anderson remarkably equalised again for the visitors as the game ended in a draw.


Annerley shocked league leaders The Gap 2-1 on Friday night away from home. Goals from Michael Miller and Jason Launchbury either side of the break saw the visitors claim a win over the pace setters.

Brisbane Force’s promotion charge continues after they claimed an emphatic 5-2 win over Western Spirit at Kippen Park.

Acacia Ridge move back into second after they romped to a 5-0 home win over New Farm United on Sunday afternoon.

Ipswich City Bulls left Oxley for dead on their away excursion coming away 3-0 convincing winners to hopefully spring a later top four challenge.

Pine Hills and Slacks Creek drew out a 1-1 draw at James Drysdale Reserve, the point leaves Hills six points ahead of the dreaded drop and Creek five points adrift.

Redcliffe PCYC claimed a much needed three points as they beat Park Ridge 3-2 to give themselves a glimmer of hope of surviving the drop.


Virginia United are one step closer to promotion after they dispatched Narangba United 5-1 at Albert Bishop Park on Saturday night.

Toowong kept up with the league leaders as they saw off Jimboomba 2-0 away from home.

Tarragindi Tigers have all but booked their top four place after they had the edge 2-1 over Clairvaux at Esher Street the win leaves them twelve points ahead of the chasing pack.

Westside didn’t make any mistake in their home clash with cellar dwellers Ridge Hills smashing them 6-0 to keep their top four hopes alive.

AC Carina condemned Mooroondu to their eleventh league defeat 3-1 at William Taylor Sports Field.

Newmarket grabbed a vital 2-1 win at Bardon Latrobe to pull further away from the relegation zone and a platform to focus on the top four.


Caboolture remain top as they unleashed another double figure routing this time 10-0 over Logan City Kings.

St George Willawong took another step towards promotion as they accounted for Kangaroo Point Rovers at St George’s Park 4-0.

Samford Rangers kept up the pressure on the top two as they romped to a 6-1 home defeat of Logan Metro.

Bethania Rams and Deception Bay shared the spoils in a 1-1 draw at Opperman Park.

North Brisbane came away from Springfield victorious 2-0 winners to give them another much needed three points.

Brighton and Greenbank played out an entertaining 2-2 draw at Wakefield Park.

Logan Village had the bye.