Redlands one win from redemption


Redlands Nico Bechar on the ball sizing up his opposition

Rafe Griffin (@rafegriffin)

An own goal conceded by Brisbane City was the difference as Redlands took a 1-0 round six FFA Cup victory away from Corporate Travel Management Stadium.

Unlike the league encounter between these sides five days ago, there was no initial feeling out process with a fast tempo from the opening whistle.

Without the services of Graham Fyfe, Redlands coach Matt Chandler was forced into a rejig of his attacking line up with Russell Woodruffe recalled to the starting eleven and Bechar initially playing more of a role on the right.

It was Bechar who set up the first opportunity of the evening delivering a cross in for Alistair Davis who had his shot blocked just outside the six-yard box before getting a second chance from a rebound which fell harmlessly to City keeper Tim Allen.

The home side had to wait until the midway point of the half for their first clear-cut chance. After a deflected cross in, Antonio Murray fired in from close range but a further deflection resulted in a City corner.

In a five-minute period after that, things started to open up a little. Firstly Bechar had space to operate in and put a shot in looking to dip just under the bar but Allen reacted well to tip over.

At the opposite end of the park, the defence were unable to deal with a ball, it fell for Motoki Kakehi who bulleted over the bar.

There were nervous moments for Brisbane City in the lead up to halftime. With Allen stranded on the ground, Kai Halliday got a header on target that was cleared off the line. Michael McGowan’s attempt was steered narrowly wide for Redlands best chance to score of the half.

The home side signalled intent immediately after the halftime break with Scot Coulson attempting a deft chip over Jono Burrowes in the Redlands goal who defused the situation in tipping over the crossbar.

As the game wore on, it was looking likely that the deadlock would be difficult to break but Green made a run parallel to the goal line and squeezed a shot from an acute angle that deflected off City’s Greg King and into the back of the net.

After a City turnover in midfield midway through the second half, Bechar was on hand to collect the ball and picked out Davis who shot across the face wasn’t too far off target.

With a quarter of an hour remaining, City’s best chance for an equaliser came when Murray headed just wide of the upright from close range.

City threw the kitchen sink in the remaining moments with Kai Smith and substitute Jason Park having late chances but Redlands saw off the City salvo.

The only sore point of the night for Redlands came when Stephen Green was stretchered off with minutes remaining.

In the other match played this evening, two late goals to Greg Cheshire has seen Rochedale through to an inaugural round seven appearance after defeating Moreton Bay 2-1 at Underwood Park. Redlands will host Rochedale in round seven.

Brisbane City 0 v Redlands 1 (Own goal 56’)

Rochedale Rovers 2 (Greg Cheshire 88’, 90+3’) v Moreton Bay 1 (Jordan Farina 10’)

Brisbane City: Tim Allen, Greg King, Kai Smith, Luke Pavlou, Nathan Bird, Mat Biggins, Antonio Murray (Scott Halliday 90’), Scot Coulson, Nick Buckley (Jason Park 73’), Sam Sibatuara (Mitch Hore 46’), Motoki Kakehi. Subs not used: Kai Barnes, Jake Clancy.

Redlands: Jono Burrowes, Grant Brix, Kai Halliday, Paul O’Brien, Greg Warden, Russell Woodruffe, Stephen Green (Nick Danicic 89’), Nico Bechar, Adam Chandler, Michael McGowan, Alistair Davis (Dan Romano 90+2’). Subs not used: Doyle Bissett, Sam Langley, Matt Lugo.

Referee: Alex King