Grange storm over Centenary

Joseph Ogilvie (@jogilvie17)

Grange Thistle made it two wins in a row with a convincing 3 – 1 victory over newly promoted Centenary Stormers in the first game of round two in the Capital One League.

Grange arrived at Atthows Park with high expectations after a strong start to the season against Brisbane Knights last week, while Centenary were looking to bounce back from a big loss to a rejuvenated Bayside.

After a somewhat disappointing 2015 Grange are looking to build on the back of some strong form towards the end of last season.

Centenary meanwhile are the new boys to Capital One league and were looking to put in a strong performance for their first home game of 2016.

The first 15 minutes of the match were fairly even with Centenary having the slightly better of play.

The best of their chances came in the 12th minute when a cross into the box created a clear chance to their striker who headed onto the cross bar.

This moment seem to wake up Grange who went on to dominate much of the first half.

Grange’s first real chance of the half came in the 21st minute when Stuart Somerville made a good run down the left wing, his shot was saved by the keeper and spat out to a Grange player who failed to capitalise.

23 minutes in Grange broke the deadlock after Caleb Mayberry made a 40 metre run down the right flank and sent a blistering cross into the box which was well finished in the bottom left corner by Somerville.

Grange created two more chances in the 28th and 38th minute.

Mayberry again was in the thick of the action when he was brought down inside the 18-yard box in 40th minute leading to a fair penalty.

Matt Hornby stepped up to the spot and delivered a clinical penalty into the top right corner of the net.

Centenary created another chance in the 42nd minute through a long throw into the box, it deflected off a few players and hit the cross bar.

They used this tactic heavily in the first half targeting their huge centre back Kelly Nystrom who was great at drawing in defenders.

Grange took a 2 – 0 lead into the sheds at half time.

At the start of the second half Grange again looked the stronger team creating a few chances.

Centenary started to work their way into the match though and again had times of the game where they were dominating.

This lead to a goal in the 56th minute when a defensive error saw a through ball find Fedja Mehinagic who found himself one on one with the keeper, he put the ball through under the keeper to find the net.

Centenary continued to push hard for an equaliser and put numbers into the box, this lead to another opportunity in the 75th minute off a corner where the ball bounced around the penalty area and almost went in several times.

The game was put to bed in injury time when a Grange player was again fowled in the box and a penalty awarded.

Hornby again stood up and grabbed his double for the night.

Somerville looked a class above tonight and looks to be leading Grange in the right direction.

Special mention must also go to Hornby who was very strong in defence.

Centenary Stormers 1 (Mehinagic 56′) v Grange Thistle 3 (Somerville 23′ 40’, Hornby 90’(pen))