Brisbane Capital League Round One Review


Deception Bay and Caboolture go at it on Friday night

Merson Kean (@mersonk1)

After bad weather has put pay to the opening round in previous years, thankfully we got a full compliment this season and the Capital Leagues didn’t disappoint from ten goal thrillers to red cards galore as round one had it all.

Grange Thistle picked up their first maximum points of the season when they pipped Brisbane Knights to the post in a tight game at the Knights Complex. With the game scoreless up until just shy of the hour mark, it was former Taringa Rovers midfielder Stuart Somerville who popped up to deliver Thistle a much needed 1-0 win.

North Star came from behind to sink Souths at O’Callaghan Park.Souths opened the scoring midway through the first period but North Star Coach Nigel Purcell’s halftime speech must have worked a treat as his side replied in the sixty-third minute before claiming the three points five minutes from time to win it 2-1.

Wolves FC started their season in Capital League One and they surged to a 2-1 win over Pine Rivers. Wolves dominated from the outset and midway through the first period their persistence told as Jonathan Flynn opened accounts then right on halftime Ajdin Salihovic doubled the Wolves tally. Rivers managed to peg one back in the eighty first minute through Cameron Scott to set up a grandstand finish but their hopes were dashed as Matthew James was shown a red card as Wolves held out for a vital victory.

Taringa Rovers took the spoils in a hard fought away performance at Mount Gravatt Hawks as they took on former coach Mick Matthews who has taken charge of the Hawks. In a goalless first half it didn’t take long for Rovers to open up their scoring account just four minutes into the second period and on the hour mark doubled their advantage as they claim a 2-0 away day success.

Southside Eagles carried on their goalscoring form from pre season into their Capital League One campaign as they walloped Moggill 4-1 at Bellbowrie Sports Ground. Eagles wasted no time flying into a two goal buffer and they took that into the halftime break. Moggill had to finish the game with ten men after the dismissal of Sam Chesterfield on the stroke of halftime and that had an immediate effect as Eagles added a third just after the restart. The Moggill faithful did have something to cheer as Tom Wood pegged one back on fifty-five but Southside grabbed a fourth to round out the victory in the seventy-sixth minute.

Bayside stamped their authority on Capital One rampaging Centenary Stormers at Don Randall Oval. It was the star of the show in last weeks FFA Cup clash against North Brisbane, Blake Coates who helped himself to a hat trick in the overall outcome of a 4-1 win as they top the division after one round.

Oxley United lead the way in Capital Two after they smashed Redcliffe PCYC for six at Dunlop Park on Saturday afternoon. Oxley put on the perfect first half display racing into a four goal buffer at the half. United took their foot off the gas in the second period but after Jermaine Croner was dismissed for two yellows for the visitors, Oxley found their groove again scoring a further two to round out a 6-0 drubbing.

Annerley started their quest to return to Capital One on Friday and got off to the best possible start when they defeated newly promoted New Farm 3-0 at Elder Oval. Rochedale recruit Justin Launchbury was among the goalscoring helping the Greenslopes club to their first maximum points of 2016.

Acacia Ridge began life in Capital Two on Saturday and the step up certainly didn’t phase them breezing to a 3-0 away day win at Ipswich City a double from Luca Ilic helped them on their way to three precious points.

The Gap Gators followed up their emphatic 12-0 drubbing of Greenbank in the FFA by seeing off Western Spirit at Kippen Park on Saturday. The Gators found themselves in front just before the break and picked up where they left off in the second wrapping up a 3-0 win as Jamal Spelta claimed a brace.

Brisbane Force opened their account with a hard earned point against Pine Hills at CJ Greenfield Reserve. The game was locked at one a piece at the break and come full-time both sides still could not be separated as the affair ended in a 2-2 lockdown.

Park Ridge managed a dramatic victory as they squeezed past Slacks Creek at Hubner Park on Friday night. In a topsy turvy game from start to finish, it was entertaining for the crowd in attendance but it was the home side who had the celebrations with a Liam Klein winner five minutes from time as Ridge won it 4-3

Toowong were ruthless on their visit to Clairvaux on Friday night storming to a convincing 8-3 display to top the table after round one. Ben Janes was the star for Toowong netting four.

Bardon Latrobe put on an entertaining performance bagging four goals in their first ever Capital Three encounter but were on the end of a 6-4 defeat after being touched up by a clinical Tarragindi Tigers outfit at Esher Street.

Newmarket took the spoils in the derby against Westside running out 2-0 victors at McCook Park. Goals from Riley Cooper and Adrian Burke were enough to ensure Newmarket claim maximum points from their opening outing in Capital Three.

AC Carina opened accounts with three points as they accounted for Jimboomba at the Brisbane Abruzzo Club on Saturday night in a feisty affair which saw Jimboomba’s Damion Holledge red carded for an off the ball incident. Nathan Cox with the goal right on halftime for Carina was enough to claim a 1-0 win and three vital points.

Highlights can be found here-

Narangba came away 3-2 winners seeing off near neighbours Ridge Hills in a hard fought match out at the Narangba Sports Complex.

Virginia edged out Mooroondu on their visit to William Taylor Sports Field on Friday coming away 2-1 winners and dashing the host’s hopes of a Capital Three debut win.

Caboolture top Capital Four after the opening round after a convincing away win at Deception Bay as they hit their fellow Capital Four debutants for six, winning 6-2 at Progress Park.

Kangaroo Point Rovers put rest to Logan Metro in Metro’s first league game in a Football Brisbane competition. Rovers went in level at the break but made sure they were taking the chocolates winning 3-2 to give them maximum points.

Bethania Rams accounted for Springfield as they romped to a 4-1 win at Woodcrest College on Saturday. Rams took the early ascendancy going into oranges at one to the good and in a feisty second half went on to close out the win.

The spoils were shared in the first of many Logan derbies this season as Logan Village and Logan City Kings drew in an entertaining 2-2 draw at Big River Country Park.

Greenbank put their 12-0 hiding to The Gap behind them picking up a positive point against one of the title favourites St George Willawong in a 1-1 draw at Barry Whyte Field.

North Brisbane and Brighton Bulldogs clash has been deferred until August due to ongoing maintenance at the Aces’ Prentice Park base. Samford had the bye.