Macron Cup – Matchday 3 Wrap

Rafe Griffin (@rafegriffin)


gcc v mb Halftime

Gold Coast City and Moreton Bay were unable to be split after ninety minutes. Gold Coast going on to record a 3-2 win in the penalty shootout.

Chances were few and far between in a first half played in predominantly wet conditions.

Troy Ruthven saw an early free kick narrowly fall wide off the post.

Jordan Farina had his shot cleared off the line just near the half hour.

Ray Schultz attempted to drift a cross come shot in the breezy conditions but he found the top netting.

Ruthven proved to be the tonic to break the deadlock on the stroke of halftime to send his side into the break with a 1-0 lead.

Shortly after the break, Jackson Hall was the provider for Farina to reply for Moreton Bay.

Just a minute later, Jonathan Marraiya attempted to provide the Jets with the lead but could only put wide.

Farina attempted an audacious lob over Gold Coast’s Shane Viitakangas midway through the half but the keeper’s height was to his advantage with his fingertips defusing the opportunity.

Viitakangas came into play twice over in the coming minutes shutting down Taiga Ishikura and Joi Masuda.

Both sides exchanged chances in the dying minutes to claim the win in normal time but the match ended up being decided by penalties.

Viitakangas was able to save the first penalty attempt from Farina in the shootout. Gold Coast going on to successfully convert all their penalties with Fraser Ellis scoring the winner despite Moreton Bay gloveman Matt Stein getting a hand in an attempted save.

Despite the loss, Moreton Bay topped the group and qualified for next Saturday’s final.

Moreton Bay 1 (Jordan Farina 51’) v Gold Coast City 1 (Troy Ruthven 45’). Gold Coast City won on penalties 3-2.

Gold Coast City: Shane Viitakangas, Simon Bradley, Ruy Yonezama, Rees Duncan, Mori Kone, Jarrod Kyle, Morgan Saunders, Ethan Grimley, Troy Ruthven, Riley Dillon, Jason Campbell, Harry Liebke, Josh Mussels, Riley Thompson-King, Fraser Eller.

Moreton Bay: Matt Stein, Reyze Kelly, Scott Stewart, Matt Byrne, Ray Schultz, Jordan Farina, Joi Masuda, Jackson Hall, Finn Beakhurst, Alex Janovksy, Taiga Ishikura, Declan Smith, Jonathan Marraiya, Jacob Mitchell, Xander Gwynn-Jones



oly v pp Halftime

With the earlier result, it meant that the winner of this match would progress to the final against Moreton Bay. It would be the hosts who would prevail in a tight 3-2 win in wet conditions.

Youeil Shol had a throughball to him early. He committed Jake Reesby, sent his shot goalward but saw it cleared off the line by Trent McEvoy.

Peninsula’s first goal started in their own half out of transition when Jared Thrupp got his side moving. Subsequently, the ball bounced over the head of Kado Aoci in the final third but he was able to recover to tuck away past Cuminao.

Jared Austin added a second less than ten minutes later. After initial indecision by Aoci, he thought better to play in an unmarked Austin that proved correct with the diminutive midfielder making no mistake.

Peninsula continued to dominate the play with firstly Charles Mendy denied a penalty shout and then David Salin putting a wonderful free kick into the box that was so good, everyone mistimed their run.

Sam Cronin had a free kick that skidded on in the wet conditions, Reesby unable to hold on to the ball and Danny Byrne in near vicinity picked up the scraps to tap away from two metres out.

There was a fiery moment during the half with Jani Puet and Shol getting in a tangle that resulted in both players receiving yellow cards that could easily have seen referee Avi Cohen go to a different pocket.

Cronin’s effort spurred Olympic back into the match with Logan Grillo looking threatening but couldn’t get his shot on-target.

Peninsula gained the ascendency though in the final minutes of the half with Aoci having a goal ruled out due to offside and then Mendy unable to take advantage with two bits of the cherry.

More of the same for Peninsula in the opening minutes of the second period when Mendy got one-on-one with Cuminao but unable to beat the teenage keeper.

It would be Olympic who would score next with Shol teeing up a wonderful finish by Cronin.

With the match finely poised, Mendy again attempted to assert his influence but twice was shut down by a desperate Olympic defence.

The Frenchman would figure in his side’s third goal as he initially missed a chance on goal, Olympic cleared to the edge of the box where Chris Swain cracked a spectacular opportunity for Peninsula to regain the lead.

Peninsula searched for a more comfortable buffer as Aoci teed up Luke Plummer who fired onto the woodwork.

Nervous moments for the Peninsula supporters in the final minutes of the match after their side had been the subject of stoppage time goals in the previous two matchdays but despite Olympic’s best efforts to push, they came up short.

The win saw Peninsula move to second on the table after the completion of the pool stages to go through to next week’s final against northside rivals Moreton Bay. Olympic will meet Gold Coast City in the third-placed playoff.

Peninsula Power 3 (Kado Aoci 8′, Jared Austin 17′, Chris Swain 69’) v Olympic 2 (Danny Byrne 35′, Sam Cronin 52’)

Peninsula: Jake Reesby, Kado Aoci, Jared Austin, Myles Carseldine, Charles Mendy, Jani Puet, David Salin, Matt Sauer, Chris Swain, Luke Plummer, Matt Sanchez, Jared Thrupp, Rinichi Mikami, Zachary Born, Trent McEvoy, Brad Burrows

Olympic: Brandon Cuminao, Liam O’Bryan, James Cuminao, Bobby Irving, Scott Bow, Matt Mundy, Logan Grillo, Danny Byrne, Matt Heath, Kosi Yannakopoulos, Sam Cronin, Josh Jokic, Youeil Shol, Sergio Castel, Matt Gordon, Nick Mooney.