A look back at the 2015 Football Brisbane year

Merson Kean (@mersonk1)

As we head into the new year, time to take one last look at what took place in Brisbane in 2015. Lions FC became Football Brisbane’s first club to progress to the FFA Cup final 32 in a competition that featured remarkable stories of ‘Cupsets’ while in the leagues, there were clubs able to make successive climbs up the league. The year had it all.


Unlucky for some as thirty of Football Brisbane’s clubs started their quest for Australia’s number one Cup competition. The opening qualifying round of the FFA Cup failed to disappoint as cracking encounters broke out across Brisbane. In a sign of things to come, the first broadcast game would be two teams that would go on to win their respective leagues.

The traditional curtain raiser to the Brisbane season, the BLK Silver Boot final took place at Lions Stadium as Rochedale Rovers took on Eastern Suburbs. Goals from Nick Robinson, Ramone Close and Matt Heath gave the Tigers the first silverware on offer of the calendar year in an emphatic 3-0 victory in front of a healthy crowd.

After the inevitability of the first round being washed out, the season skipped straight to round two. The season kicked off in fine fashion and picked up where it left off in 2014 with goals galore from the Redcliffe Peninsula to the deep south of Logan. A day that also saw cracking comebacks and newly promoted sides surprising sides while others found the step up difficult.

A truly wonderful night for one Capital League Three club Virginia United as they pulled off the shock of the year defeating Premier League outfit Capalaba Bulldogs away from home in the FFA Cup representing ‘the magic of the Cup’.

For most it was just a normal Wednesday but for the Ipswich football community it was derby day for the second successive year, Ipswich Knights hosting the NPL’s Western Pride in the fifth round of the FFA Cup. In a tight arm wrestle from start to the bitter end, it was the Knights who took the chocolates again, this time in a dramatic ending with Lucas Wilson going the length of the field in stoppage time.

A night that will go down in the history of Lions FC as they once again would stage a return to the national stage, progressing to the FFA Cup final 32 after a 5-0 thrashing of Capital League One Pine Rivers. Emotion was too hard to keep in on this particular night as the huge crowd at Lions Stadium poured on to the pitch to celebrate with the players to cap off a historic night for Brisbane Football and the club itself.


Lions FC were having a cracker of a season, living the dream after progressing to the FFA Cup Final 32 and flying high in the League but there would be one a final test in Wolves FC in order to claim the Premiership. Lions were cruising at 3-0 up before 2015 Golden Boot Alistair Davis had his say bringing the match back to 3-3 with a final 15 minute hat-trick with Wolves in a battle of their own to avoid relegation. Mid-season signing Cody Lovell’s injury time winner announced Lions FC as Premiers of Brisbane’s top flight that sparked scenes of delight from the Lions faithful.

A remarkable story as Holland Park who were a Church League club a few years ago won promotion to the Premier League after being promoted from Capital Two just the year before, wrapping up the Capital One Premiership with an emphatic 7-1 away day victory against Annerley at Elder Oval.

Centenary Stormers won promotion to Capital League One with an emphatic 6-1 thrashing of Westside, another club to be promoted two years in a row.

A day that also saw one of Brisbane’s smallest clubs win promotion to Capital League Two as New Farm United won 2-0 at Ridge Hills to earn themselves a place in next year’s competition.

After many years as one of Brisbane’s best local clubs and from successive premiers to one of the clubs darkest days as Wolves FC dropped out of the top flight after they fell short on the controversial Club Championship table joining Taringa Rovers in making the drop to Capital One.

The Canale Travel Cup may have been overlooked since the birth of the FFA Cup but for Lions and Pine Rivers it was an opportunity to grab another trophy. Continuing their stellar year, Lions took the spoils in an entertaining game at Jack Speare Park 5-2.In the Elaine Watson Cup Womens Final, Annerley beat Eastern Suburbs on penalties.

Annerley completed the Brisbane Womens Premier League double when they came from behind to beat Logan Lightning 3-1 at Cornubia Park to win the Grand Final.


It was Capital Three and Four Grand Final day. Toowong were able to put behind the disappointment of missing out on promotion in defeating New Farm 1-0 in the Capital Three decider while Bardon Latrobe broke their hoodoo against Mooroondu taking the honours 2-1 in Capital Four.

Grand Final Day at Lions Stadium and an afternoon for the Football Brisbane family to celebrate the local football scene and three great games were in prospect.

Setting the tone for the day was Capital Two premiers Souths United who triumphed in a three goal margin over Western Spirit.

Second up was Ben Ryan’s Holland Park Hawks who took on fellow promoted outfit North Pine in another 3-0 scoreline.

The main affair in the Premier League matched the Premiers Lions FC against Peninsula Power who put on a late season run to qualify for the decider. That run continued as Power won their their third Grand Final in a row in the narrowest of scorelines.