Peninsula Power defy odds to claim Premier League Grand Final

Joseph Ogilvie (@jogilvie17)


Peninsula Power put on a strong display with Jake Reesby starring in their 1 – 0 win over Lions FC in the Brisbane Premier League Grand Final.

We arrived at the last game of football for the year for Capital League and Premier League football in Brisbane.

A year that his been dominated by a powerful Lions side that only lost two league games all year and went deep into the FFA Cup, pushing A-League side Perth Glory.

Given the game was being played at Lions Stadium, many had Lions as favourites but Peninsula Power are known for their ability to play under pressure and have built a reputation as finals series specialists.

Having won in the first week of the finals the Lions side would have appreciated the week off given their heavy schedule throughout the year, while Power have played in two cut-throat elimination matches in previous weekends.

One of the big talking points was Lions’ star striker Kado Aoci who started the game on the bench.

It was a blistering start to the game with Power creating a chance in the second minute as advantage was being played, a goal didn’t eventuate so it was called back and they created another chance off the resulting free kick.

The contest was even between the two sides and there were few genuine opportunities created.

Peninsula broke through in the 26th minute as Shaun Feuerriegel got on the end of a Steve Cleary cross; it was a good finish across Phil Zabaks for Lions.

Jake Reesby, of Peninsula, left his mark on the game in a five-minute window at the end of the second half when he made two top shelf one-on-one saves to deny Lions.

Power went into the sheds 1 – 0 up in a fairly even half of football.

Zabaks kept his side in the game in the 57th minute when Cleary broke the Lions’ defensive line.

It looked a tough ask for Lions after Andrew Butler was shown a second yellow card in the 59th minute.

Lions created a good chance from a corner in the 72nd minute but Reesby once again saved it.

Both teams were then reduced to ten men when Scott McNeil was shown a second yellow for Power.

Power had the chance to close out the game in the 80th minute but the Lions defensive managed to shut down their counter attack.

There were a number of yellow cards in the second half as the sides became increasingly desperate and physical.

Lions continued to push hard for an equaliser with Zabaks venturing up the field on several occasions.

Jake Reesby was a real standout tonight, making some wonderful saves for his team.

It was a tight affair but the Power keeper proved to be the difference between the sides.

Well done to Power on a great ending to the year and claiming the Grand Final trophy for the third year in a row.

Lions FC 0 v Peninsula Power 1 (Shaun Feuerriegel 26’)