There are a few surprises amongst the seventeen players selected for the NPL Queensland Under 23 All-Stars that will take on the Brisbane Roar A-League side at the Queensland Sports and Athletics Stadium in Brisbane this Saturday afternoon.
Players were selected by popular public vote with Brisbane City, Northern Fury, Palm Beach and Western Pride contributing the most players with three players from each club earning selection.
FNQ Heat contributed two players to the squad while Brisbane Strikers, Redlands United and Sunshine Coast Fire each saw one player selected.
The youngest member of the squad will be Fire’s 17 year old Cameron Nairn who made his senior debut with the club this season.
The team will be guided by FNQ Heat coach Martin Docherty who will be assisted by last year’s Premiership winning coach, Palm Beach’s Grae Piddick.
The match serves as a curtain raiser to the National NPL Finals Series Elimination Final between Moreton Bay United and Northern New South Wales club Edgeworth Eagles.
Due to their commitments in that final, players and coaches from the Premiership-Championship winning Jets were unavailable to take part in the NPL Queensland Under 23 All-Stars.
- Nicholas Mooney (FNQ Heat – goalkeeper)
- Scot Coulson (Brisbane Strikers – fullback)
- Eoghan Murphy (Palm Beach – fullback)
- Ari Isman (Northern Fury – defender)
- Christian Trovato (Redlands United – defender)
- Joe Duckworth (Western Pride – midfielder)
- Cameron Nucifora (FNQ Heat – midfielder)
- Jesse Rigby (Western Pride – midfielder)
- Joseph Thornton (Northern Fury – winger)
- Ryan Roderick (Brisbane City – winger)
- Sean Karambasis (Northern Fury – striker)
- Shane Viitakangas (Palm Beach – goalkeeper)
- Jack Lightbody (Brisbane City – fullback)
- Kai Smith (Brisbane City – defender)
- Roman Hoffman (Palm Beach – midfielder)
- Cameron Nairn (Sunshine Coast Fire – winger)
- Harrison Sawyer (Western Pride – striker)
- Martin Docherty (FNQ Heat – head coach)
- Grae Piddick (Palm Beach – assistant coach)