BRISBANE CAPITAL 2 – Centenary beat Newmarket in a fiery clash

By Joseph Ogilvie

The Centenary Stormers moved into equal top spot in Capital Two league with a 4 – 1 win over a Newmarket side reduced to ten men in the first half.

Centenary were fresh off a big win against ladder leaders Souths last weekend.

Newmarket on the other hand had their game washed out last weekend and having beaten Ipswich the week before were looking to try and hit some form.

There were ominous signs early on with the Stormers scoring off the very first play of the game from the kick off.

The ball came straight through the middle of the Newmarket defence and after a deflection it was chipped from the edge of the eighteen yard box to the feet of Clinton La Carta, who was clinical in finding the back of the net.

Newmarket managed to bounce back well considering they conceded in the first twenty seconds.

They had the better of the next twenty minutes and then capitalised through a long ball to Luke Chapman who produced a piece of individual brilliance to find the back of the net.

After a heated period towards the end of the first half, five yellow cards awarded in a fifteen-minute window, Samuel Rohdmann was sent from the field for a second yellow card just minutes before the break.

Centenary responded from the resulting free kick with Kelly Nystrom making the most of Newmarket’s failure to clear the ball.

Things blew up right on half time after a series of fouls by both teams and then a heavy challenge from a Centenary player that led to some push and shove between both sides.

The referee had to stand between players to cool things down, then after some consultation with the linesman a yellow card was shown and half time was called.

Seeing the officials separating both groups of players was a bad way to end what was a good half of football.

Both teams appeared to have cooled off in the sheds and produced an open start to the second half.

The Stormers had many chances and would have scored if not for some desperate Newmarket defence.

For a team with only ten men on the park Newmarket put in a great effort to begin the half and even created a few chances for themselves, although not as clear cut as Centenary’s.

Any hope Newmarket might have held was ended when La Carta put away a cross from Benn Schofield midway through the second half.

La Carta finished off his hat trick just before the final whistle capping a good night for the Stormers.

Credit should go to Newmarket for a great effort with ten men, could have been an interesting game if they had managed to keep their full team on the park.

Centenary Stormers 4 (Clinton La Carta 1’, 75’, 90+2’, Kelly Nystrom 45’) v Newmarket 1 (Luke Chapman 16’)