FFA Cup Wrap – 30 April 2015

Plenty of action during the week in the FFA Cup with seven matches being played across the state including a surprise or two with some very tight results that could have gone either way. Here’s our wrap of the action.


Pine Rivers 2 v Centenary 0

Capital 2’s Centenary Stormers took it all the way to their higher ranked opponents in Capital 1’s Pine Rivers, an effort recognised by the Rivers faithful.

Centenary had their chances to take advantage of a sluggish Pine Rivers first half but both sides went to the break locked at 0-0. Pine Rivers lifted their effort in the second half and two goals within the final fifteen minutes to Sam West and Ross Cunneen sealed their passage through to round six.

Full match report

Brisbane Strikers 4 v Brisbane City 1

An early Josh McVey strike set the tone for the match with the hosts taking a 1-0 lead at halftime. Two goals in a four minute period early in the second half from Jheison Macuace provided a comfortable three-goal buffer for the Strikers.

Scot Coulson provided the cherry on the top for a 4-0 lead while Nick Buckley scored a consolation to provide some reward for the endeavours of a youthful Brisbane City side.

Full match report

Redlands 2 v Olympic 0

Redlands came into this match having not recorded a win so far in the NPL Queensland and they took a ‘nothing to lose’ attitude into this match against the highly fancied Olympic.

Igor Sao Jose and Graham Fyfe stunned Olympic, as well as those at other grounds following on, with Redlands having a 2-0 lead just after the half hour. Further misery was to be heaped onto Olympic with a goal disallowed for offside and then a wonderful Brendan White save denied Danny Byrne from the penalty spot.

Redlands held onto the 2-0 halftime lead for the remaining 45 minutes and become a surprise entrant in the pot for round six.

Full match report

Peninsula Power 3 v Easts 2

Two goals in the opening ten minutes from Mitch Buhman and Byron Napper gave the home side the perfect start before Easts started to get into their work. Ramone Close pulling one back for the visitors midway through the first period.

It was a tense opening to the second half, neither side able to penetrate the other’s defensive units before Easts were awarded a penalty. Ryan Stenhouse duly converting the spot kick opportunity despite the best efforts of Peninsula glovesman, Jake Reesby.

Just as the match looked to be going to extra time, the mercurial Matt Hornby, returning from injury and entering the game as a substitute, gave Power what would be the winner, five minutes from time.

Full match report 

Moreton Bay 2 v Taringa 1

In some minds, this was a David v Goliath tussle. The Goliath coming in the form of the NPL’s Moreton Bay, undefeated in the league, up against Taringa who are mid-ladder in the Trophy Superstore Premier League and playing the role of David.

Well it was David who initially prevailed, Omar Hamid giving Taringa the lead on the quarter-hour but that was quickly nullified by defender Alex Henderson for the Jets only a minute later.

Jordan Farina put Moreton Bay ahead 2-1 just before thirty minutes and despite Taringa fighting until the bitter end and giving their higher ranked opponents an almighty fright, it will be the NPL side going through to round six.

Full match report


Broadbeach 2 v Mudgeeraba 0

Last year’s Premiers and Champions have continued their good form into 2015, having lost just the one competitive match out of twelve.

Mudgeeraba had a set back early with a player sent off, which left them to play the bulk of the match with ten men. The Dolphins win over Mudgeeraba will provide a stern test in what should be a ripper of a battle against last year’s NPL Queensland Premiers and Champions, Palm Beach.


West Wanderers 1 v Willowburn 1 (West Wanderers won on penalties 3-1)

All the goals in this one came in the five minutes prior to halftime of normal time. Chris Vievers provided the assist for Ben Barrowclift in the 40th minute to give Willowburn a 1-0 lead before their opponents scored one of their own before the break to send the teams to the sheds on level terms at 1-1.

Willowburn continued to attack in the second half, having two goals ruled out during the second half due to offside and with neither side able to find the back of the net, the match went into extra time in an attempt to find a winner.

The additional thirty minutes was still unable to spilt the teams, so penalties it was. This was the 99th Cup game played in Queensland in 2015 and became the first game that required the dreaded spot kicks to determine a result.

After a marathon of football, it was West Wanderers who did better in the shoot-out, winning 3-1 to set up a clash with NPL club South-West Queensland in the next round.